Love Coupons? Make Extra Money as a Coupon Broker
Saving money with coupons has been elevated to an art form these days. There are coupon queens who make a living teaching others the skills that they’ve acquired for saving money with coupons. There are entire blogs devoted to providing tips about locating, organizing and maximizing your use of coupons. There is even a new reality show called Extreme Couponing that highlights the unbelievable lengths that some people will go to in order to get a great deal by using coupons. However, all of these things take a lot of time and that’s one thing that most people don’t have much of to spare. That’s why a lot of people are interested in using the services of a coupon broker. If you happen to be one of those folks who enjoys finding and organizing coupons then you could make a nice side income by becoming one of these coupon brokers.
What is a coupon broker?
A coupon broker is a person who finds, sorts and organizes coupons on behalf of another person. This position is also sometimes called a coupon finder or simply a coupon service.
I thought it was illegal to sell coupons?
One really important point to address here is that many coupons become void if you sell or transfer them. It’s not technically illegal to sell them but it does mean that the coupon loses its value if the merchant becomes aware that the coupon was sold to the buyer. In reality, it is unlikely that the merchant would ever find out. After all, how many times has your grocery store cashier asked you where you got your coupon? Nevertheless, it’s important for someone who works as a coupon broker to charge for their time and services and not for their actual coupons so as to avoid this issue altogether. (source)
Why would someone use a coupon broker?
Why would someone who is trying to save money pay for their coupons? People use coupon brokers for a number of reasons:
- The cost of the coupon is usually small so they still get a savings from their coupon use.
- Many people don’t have the time to spend looking for the coupons they need so they want a coupon service to do this for them.
- A lot of people aren’t sure what the best way is to organize their coupons. They want someone to help find and sort their coupons for them because it makes their shopping more efficient.
- Coupon brokers use a lot of different resources to get their coupons. Someone new to coupons may not understand all of the different coupon sources that are available to them.
Benefits of becoming a coupon broker
Some of the leading benefits of becoming employed as a coupon broker include:
- Extra income. The main reason that you would launch any type of business would be to earn money. This is a job that allows you to earn extra income.
- Flexible hours working from home. This is a job that you can do at home any time of day or night. You may need to keep some traditional business hours so that your clients can contact you but other than that you can really opt to work when and where you want to.
- You’re already clipping coupons. Many people are already doing this work for themselves so it’s not much extra hassle to be a coupon broker for others.
- You get the pleasure of helping other people save money. Any extra income is nice, of course, but it’s best when it comes from doing something that you can feel good about doing.
- You’ll get even better at finding coupons for yourself. That means that you’ll enjoy even more savings than you already do.
How to become a coupon broker
If this sounds like a good plan to you then you have two basic options available to you for beginning to work as a coupon broker:
- Get hired by an established coupon service. Start scouring the web for other people who are already doing this work. Check to see if they are hiring. The benefit of this is that you’ll get experience with someone who already has an established clientele and work that is available for you to do. The drawback is that you’ll be working for someone else instead of working as your own boss.
- Set up your own coupon broker business. You would need to create a website where you will sell your coupons. Then you’ll need to list your coupons and get the site going. After that it’s all about promotion of the site. This is the optimal long-term solution for most people who are interested in side work in the coupon services industry.
Find a niche
Since there are already other people out there who are doing this type of work, you’ll likely be most successful if you find a niche to specialize in. Examples of coupon broker niches include:
- Coupons for green living. Many people are interested in using green products around the home but find them to be too expensive. You can specialize in helping your customers find the best deals on these products. You’ll not only be helping them out but helping out the earth as well.
- Coupons for your own local area. Many coupon services offer nationwide coupon deals. However, some people prefer to shop at their own local mom and pop stores. If you specialize in sharing deals for these spots then you can gather a nice local following. You may also be able to work with local stores to offer special deals or get discounts of your own.
- Brokering coupon codes for use when shopping online. This is a great modern niche to consider breaking into. Get creative!
What additional questions do you have about being a coupon broker?